With a topic as complex as fertility, Renée K Barsa, L.Ac. of WellPath Acupuncture and Healing Arts has received many questions over the years, and is honored to help give you peace of mind during this time. Some of the questions she is most commonly asked include:
Q: What will my treatment for fertility involve?
A: Treatment will be tailored to your unique individual needs, integrating holistic healing modalities, and will often include:
• A detailed health history intake and wellness evaluation
• A mutually agreed upon treatment plan
• Acupuncture treatments
• Customized herbal prescription
• Therapeutic essential oil treatment
• Nutrition and lifestyle counseling designed for your needs
• Other modalities such as fertility massage or yoga maybe prescribed as needed
Q: How many sessions will I need before I become pregnant?
A: The answer depends greatly on other factors such as whether you are concurrently undergoing Assisted Reproductive Technologies, whether there are any underlying gynecological problems, as well as the frequency of acupuncture visits and concurrent use of Chinese herbs and nutrition. My patients frequently achieve pregnancy after three to nine months of treatment, depending on individual factors, although some patients can achieve their goal faster. The number of treatments you will need will depend on your overall health, your body’s response to acupuncture and/or Western reproductive treatments, and the nature and duration of your condition.
Q: How will I know if acupuncture is aiding in my fertility?
A: Improvements in hormone test results, sperm quantity and quality, and the menstrual cycle would best indicate progress. Because of the known link between stress and infertility, decreased stress, which is commonly experienced by patients when they are receiving regular acupuncture treatment, is another treatment goal. Decrease in side effects from fertility drugs is another commonly reported indication of progress.
Q: Who is a good candidate for acupuncture for fertility?
A: I work with a wide range of patients seeking help achieving fertility. Some women I see have recently begun trying to conceive, have no western diagnosis, and simply need some hormonal fine-tuning in order to conceive. Other women I see have been through a full range of western diagnostics and have learned through their research just how much acupuncture can help their western treatments. Many women who turn to acupuncture for help have exhausted all other resources and come to me as a last resort. Regardless of her background, every woman is unique! The beauty of acupuncture and Chinese Medicine is that it is an art as well as a science, and can work in both subtle and profound ways to nurture and restore fertility.
Good candidates for acupuncture for fertility include:
• Couples who have been trying to conceive and have otherwise normal blood/sperm test results
• Women who have irregular menstrual cycles or are experiencing stress/anxiety
• Couples who are planning on undergoing IVF or IUI and wish to increase their chances of success
• Couples who are having difficulty conceiving but are not ready for Assisted Reproductive Technologies (ART).
Those who have structural fertility issues caused by tubal blockage and those with premature ovarian failure are unlikely to do well with acupuncture alone and may consider using acupuncture as an adjunct to ART.
The women I treat may present with conditions such as:
• Unexplained Infertility
• Irregular Ovulation/ Irregular menstrual cycles
• Elevated or High FSH
• Diminished Ovarian Reserve (DOR)
• Poor Egg Quality
• ART “Poor Responders”
• IVF and IUI Patients
• PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome)
• Luteal Phase Defect
• Advanced Maternal Age
• POF (Premature Ovarian Failure)
• Autoimmune Infertility
• Implantation Failures
Please feel free to contact Renée with any additional questions or concerns. She looks forward to helping you on your path to parenthood!